Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I created something beautiful - now what?


When an artist creates a piece of work and is pleased with it, naturally he/she feels as though buyers should be beating down the doors offering a great price for it! At least that is how I feel.

The challenge for me is not what to shoot or how to express it but rather, how do I get people who are in the market for art to see and ultimately to purchase my work! I am struggling with this challenge as I am sure many artists do - so what is the answer? Do I make prints, frame them and go door to looking for potential sales? Do I setup a table at the local convenience store and push my art there? Do I try unsolicited marketing like sending fliers or brochures to businesses? Arrrggg!! I am stuck.

Patience is a virtue with which I was not well endowed, so my need to see results forces me to find a marketing solution. I will troll the net and speak to any and everyone until the answer reveals itself...

Without Action

Not praising the worthy prevents contention,
Not esteeming the valuable prevents theft,
Not displaying the beautiful prevents desire.

In this manner the sage governs people:
Emptying their minds,
Filling their bellies,
Weakening their ambitions,
And strengthening their bones.

If people lack knowledge and desire
Then they can not act;
If no action is taken
Harmony remains.

-LaoTze-

Sheldon Straker PHOTOGRAPHY

No comments:

Post a Comment