Saturday, June 6, 2009

Freedom


Philosophically, freedom is defined as "the power to exercise choice and make decisions without constraint from within or without; autonomy; self-determination".

On the 65th anniversary of D-Day I watched the leaders of the United States, Canada, France and Great Britain speak about the enormous sacrifice that the allied soldiers made to ensure that we would be able to exercise many of the freedoms we enjoy today.

To those brave soldiers I say thanks! Thanks for having the courage to do what was necessary; to continue to press forward even though you knew that the chance of even making it onto the beach was slim to none; for having the courage to overcome fear and the instinct for self preservation to carry out the mission. The brave men who stormed the beach at Normandy on that fateful day were superhuman. They were the sons of farmers, businessmen and the like from previously normal lives who rose to meet the call of their nations to fight for the cause of freedom. Let's remember their bravery and sacrifice with reverence and honor their spirits by acknowledging what they fought and died for; bask in the glory of sweet freedom and never, ever forget the cost.

I am free...

Self

Both praise and blame cause concern,
For they bring people hope and fear.
The object of hope and fear is the self -
For, without self, to whom may fortune and disaster occur?

Therefore,
Who distinguishes himself from the world may be given the world,
But who regards himself as the world may accept the world.

-LaoTze-

2 comments:

  1. I cant even fathom D-day. I mean movies have tried and some like Saving Private Ryan probably done a decent job of showing some of the horror but I still imagine it was beyond anything we can recreate on film right now. The smells, the souds, the not knowing if a bullet was going t strike you at any moment while watching your comrades next to you get struck down. I'd probably be thinking why them and nt me or when will it be my turn if I could think at all in the mayhem surrounding me.

    Yep good ol D-day. Without these actions the world would be a lot different so I'll join you in giving thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would probably have died immediately, as I would have been paralyzed by the reality of what was happening. They say instinct would kick in and drive you to keep moving - not convinced and not interested in testing that theory. Many thanks be to the brave men who were able to over come fear to take the beach and win the day!

    ReplyDelete