Tuesday, November 3, 2009

LiGhT pAiNtInG! How I shot this one!

The beauty in this shot isn't the composition, nor is it the subject.  The beauty lies in the technique.  I had the hair brained scheme for the composition - leaves on a plate with a knife and fork as if to imply this was a meal but when I went outside I could only find a few awful specimens.  Hardly any color at all -  fall color would have made the subject more interesting.  Since I had to settle for what I had (it was cold and dark) I decided to try a long exposure and paint the subject using a single LED flash light.  I placed the camera on a tripod, set the exposure for 25 secs, ISO 400, the aperture to f22 and used a 50mm lens (the room was completely dark).  I triggered the camera with a remote and walked around the table pointing the LED at the subject and here is the result after 4 attempts.

























I have seen other photographers use a flash light to create dramatic lighting effects with long exposures but this is my first attempt and I have to say that I like this approach.  It is perfect for still life but would be a bitch with a model.  Click the image for full view!

No comments:

Post a Comment