Saturday, September 4, 2010

Refinishing a mask!

I decided to refinish this mask that was given to me by a friend. He was getting rid of it and I thought that I would try and help the piece reach its true potential.  The original paint job did nothing to emphasize the proficient carving wrought into the wood, plus the black was too dominant and created a depressing effect.

The original mask - the black highlights made this piece a bit depressing!


First a coat of white spray paint as a primer!


 
Next was a coat of gesso to allow the acrylic paint to adhere!



Layers of bright acrylic paint!


Finally, a light dusting with flat black spray paint followed by a coat of clear glossy lacquer!  The brighter colors make this a happier piece!

I have been working on this piece for a solid week a few hours at a time and like the result!

4 comments:

  1. I smiled when I saw this, because you just 'Caribbeanized' the mask :-D Having lived across various countries, I have come to realise that most of us really love colour, and so you have altered the mask to serve the purpose that we see masks as being useful for: a bit of fun and cheer!

    As an aside, it would have been interesting to see if the initial design meant anything (or was just a touristy piece). If it had a use in portraying a specific deity or what-have-you, you might find out the reason for the original colour scheme. But I have heard some Africans say that they never advise people to collect masks as many of them sold to tourists have anything ranging from 'bad vibes' to evil attached, and should never be kept in the home. You should check this one out and see what you find....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully no Africans traveled all the way to Indonesia to put evil in this mask as it was made there - lol! I am pleased you noticed that I totally Caribbeanised this mask. Color is necessary for this mask to appear friendly and well meaning. It was a fun exercise and I am pleased with the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jdid! You should introduce yourself to Christine Wellington! I am sure you know her!

    ReplyDelete