Friday, August 14, 2009

Beauty in B&W








In photography, color can be of key importance in image presentation but B&W is king! I find B&W images, when done well, to be the most interesting mode of image presentation. I believe that only in B&W can you truly test the message of an image to the fullest. Now don't get me wrong, some images would never covey the right message in B&W but images that look better in B&W have power - power that is restricted by color. To me color holds a good B&W photo back. Those who can present great images in B&W are the photographers I want to emulate! Am I just blowing smoke - perhaps not! I find it hard to shoot in B&W because some images lack depth in this mode - to me this indicates that the color is just a distraction that obscures the truth about the image. B&W tells the truth, no distractions, no fluff, WYSIWYG with B&W!

I shot these photos of my beautiful wife Vernell as she relaxed in her favorite chair surfing the internet.



Calm

Gravity is the source of lightness,
Calm, the master of haste.

A lone traveler will journey all day, watching over his belongings;
Yet once safe in his bed he will lose them in sleep.

The captain of a great vessel will not act lightly or hastily.
Acting lightly, he loses sight of the world,
Acting hastily, he loses control of himself.

A captain can not treat his great ship as a small boat;
Rather than glitter like jade
He must stand like stone.

-LaoTze-

4 comments:

  1. Apart from the images themselves, I find it lovely that you as a husband see beauty in your wife's most mundane activity. THAT is beauty :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wellyinbim (love the alias)! She makes me whole!

    ReplyDelete