Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Eye of the Beholder

I had an interesting experience today that boosted my confidence as an artist.  I was having a chat with a coworker and friend about art, particularly a series that I had done several months ago centered around glass marbles - I've Lost My Marbles.  He really liked them because the he was able to relate to the circular nature of the subject.  We chatted further and he indicated that he saw the circle as a source of inspiration and wanted to have a piece of art centered around circles to hang in his office.  I showed him a painting that I had done last year (my first piece of art) that was really themed around circles - Circle Layers and he really liked it.  I was shocked at his response.  This piece has been hanging in our spare bedroom for over a year now and before that leaning against a wall in our old apartment.  I was really proud of it when I first created it but as my art evolved I didn't like it as much.  Seeing the response to the piece made me realize the truth about art being in the eye of the beholder.  I create because I am inspired but I also destroy because of my perfectionist nature - I don't physically destroy but I undervalue my creations by judging them too harshly.  For others, who perhaps wish they could create or are touched by my creations my purpose is fulfilled.  I create for them, not for myself.  As an artist it is my job to create and to present - finding the right eyes is the mission of every creation; to be appreciated by the right person/people.  For this lesson I am grateful and move forward with confidence that my creations will find an audience, some day, eventually!  Thanks Keith!

Tools


-LaoTze-

2 comments: