Sunday, September 13, 2009

Getting Back In Shape - Project Fitness!

Boy, this H1N1 virus got me scared!  Really though, the truth is I am sick and tired of feeling sick and tired.  With the approaching change in seasons and the accompanying flu season, I know it is time to get back in shape.  Not only do I want to avoid the annual flu but this year's comes packed with the swine flu to boot.  No thanks!  I am making a conscious effort to get my body and mind in good physical condition to avoid getting the flu or at least to shorten the duration if I do succumb.  This means working out, eating right, sleeping right and taking the right vitamins!  It seems inevitable that the outbreak will be severe this winter since so many factors favor the spread of illness this season - high stress, poor diets, poor health, not to mention people's failure to practice simple personal hygiene such as washing their hands after using the rest room - GROSS!!!

My climb back up the hill of fitness started a few weeks ago but today I am documenting it and will do my best to stay the course.  If I fall off I will have this written commitment to refer to and hopefully renew my desire to succeed.  Fitness is a way of life and to be successful at it you have to commit to a life style change.  I have always been fortunate in that my body responds quickly to exercise but I have noticed that my cardio has been a bit weak of late - lifting is fine but I hate cardio - so working on this will be challenging.  Who's with me on project fitness?!  Anyone?

Here are some photos from today's workout - messing with the camera and trying to get the shots right kept me working out longer than planned  - I will be sore tomorrow but that's ok!  I tried to use a long exposure to record my lift using a flash frequency of 1hrz at 1/8 power and then went to 2 flashes at 1/6.5 power.  Of course I had to replenish my electrolytes after the workout - Is it in you?  Stay healthy!

4 comments:

  1. not bad! feel you on the fitness thing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hurting this morning, but forward and onward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this post and the photos as well. I started back at the gym about 6 weeks ago and my climb has been slower than I would like, but I have stuck with it. The cardio is going well, leg, chest and back workouts are good too. I hate working arms so that has been a struggle, but it's getting better. I am with you on this fitness quest and lifestyle change!! Tell Vernell don't send any cookies this way until 2020!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Sheryl-Ann! I know how hard it is to start back after a long lay off especially as we are getting a bit older. Send your positive vibes this way and I will send some your way and perhaps together we can all make this change successfully! I will warn Vernell about the cookies - although, I now that you will be singing a different tune when cookie season rolls around! LOL!! perhaps she will send you a smaller batch this year!

    ReplyDelete